Education & Prevention
Find handpicked articles and videos with valuable information to help you learn more about mental health and substance use, and how to prevent issues resulting from them.
- Mental Health Day Off? Company Culture is Changing.
Some companies are starting to see the use of "sick days" for "mental health days" as legitimate.
- Panic Attacks: How To Help Someone Having an Attack Opens a New Window.
This in-depth guide explains how to help any of the six million Americans who have repeated panic attacks.
- To Prevent Pregnancy-Related Depression, At-Risk Women Advised To Get Counseling
Opens a New Window. The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, a panel of experts on patient care, recommend doctors refer new mothers to counseling because an estimated 1 in 7 pregnant women suffers from depression.
- Reach out: Ways to help a loved one at risk of suicide
Things to do if you have a loved one who may be feeling suicidal
- Teen Dating Violence Can Lead To Homicide — And Girls Are The Most Common Victims
The number of girls harmed by dating violence as adolescents is increasing. This article offers suggestions and tips to help prevent it
- From Gloom to Gratitude: 8 Skills to Cultivate Joy
Skills to help you deal with some of the challenging times in life.
- 'No Visible Bruises' Upends Stereotypes Of Abuse, Sheds Light On Domestic Violence
Details domestic violence and understanding the realities of it.
- Not Just for Soldiers: Civilians with PTSD Struggle to Find Effective Therapy
This article expands the definition (and treatment options) for people with PTSD.
- Stigma Regarding Mental Illness Among People of Color
Mental health challenges for African Americans.
- 20 Rituals to Maintain Your Mental Health
Ideas to keep mentally healthy.
- The Myth of Self-Control
Psychologists say using willpower to achieve goals is overhyped. Here’s what actually works.
- [VIDEO] Binge drinking among older Americans is on the rise, new study finds
People 65 and older are more sensitive to alcohol, which can worsen chronic health conditions or interfere with prescription medications.
- The Grief of an Overdose Death — and How You Can Support Someone Grieving a Substance Use Loss
Offers some information and advice about what to do or say to a parent/family member grieving a loss from an overdose of drugs.
- Legal Weed Is A Danger To Dogs. Here's How To Know If Your Pup Got Into Pot
With marijuana being legal in many places and more accessible some dogs are at risk if they ingest it.
- Substance Misuse Screenings
- 9 Things We Wish We'd Known: A Letter From Families Who Have Lost a Loved One to Addiction
Pay attention to these warning signs in your loved ones.
- [VIDEO] What is a Gambling Disorder?
Research-based facts to provide a better understanding of gambling addiction.
- [INFOGRAPHIC] How Alcohol Travels Through the Body
This graphic outlines all the systems and organs affected by alcohol.
- What's in Your Vape? Toolkit for Parents, Grandparents & Caregivers
Help adolescents understand the risks of vaping.
- Speaking to Your Teen About Suicide
How recent media reports of suicide can be an opportunity to talk to your kids about it.
- Drowning in Parenting Advice? Here's some advice for that.
Article helps parents wade through all the advice out there which is often conflicting.
- When Opioid Pain Relievers Are Prescribed For Your Child: What You Should Know
This article provides some information for parents about opioids pain relievers like information about different types and warning signs, when should pain relievers be prescribed, etc.
- College Students and Parents Face a Campus Mental Health Epidemic
The challenges your son or daughter is facing as they go off to college - anxiety and depression are big ones.
- Teasing Kids About Their Weight May Make Them Gain More
A small study but with some potential implications for children who are teased or bullied about their weight or size.
- How to Help a Kid Survive Early Puberty
Girls and boys who start physically developing sooner than their peers face particular social and emotional challenges, researchers find