Adopt a Highway
Help Keep Maricopa County's Roads Beautiful!
MCDOT created the Adopt a Highway program to allow groups and organizations to volunteer and/or support the beautification of country roads. There are two ways your group or organization can get involved. While an adopting organization provides the volunteers who do the litter pickup, a sponsoring business, group or organization instead pays professional contractors to do the work on their behalf.
View our map of available roadways to find an appropriate one to adopt.
Traditional Volunteer Program:
- Each qualified group becomes responsible for litter control on an approved minimum one-mile roadway segment.
- Groups must commit to a two-year cleanup commitment, conducting a minimum of two clean ups during each year.
- Maricopa County provides all the participants with Safety Vests, Gloves, Litter Grabbers, Safety Glasses, Orange Bags and a set of Caution signs.
- Safety Training is provided to the Group Leaders prior to the group's first cleanup.
- Permanent recognition road signs will be installed on each end of the adopted segment.
- Designed to provide businesses, group, and organizations the opportunity to financially sponsor litter removal on designated County roadways.
- Qualified organizations must sponsor a minimum one-mile roadway segment.
- The sponsor is responsible for securing a contract with a MCDOT approved maintenance provider and paying for the removal of litter from the sponsored road segment.
- Permanent recognition road signs will be installed on each end of the sponsored road segment.